Friday, September 11, 2009

Cheering section

Last night, I traveled to Arlee for the Arlee/Mission volleyball game. I didn’t know what I was in for.
Arlee AD Jim Taylor told me before the game that the two schools were big rivals in volleyball.
I didn’t realize how big.
The games were exciting and had long rallies but I was entertained by the Arlee cheering section that was made up of 50 boys, mostly football players. As the Mission vb team was announced, they all held up newspapers as a form of insult.

Nice gesture. I’ve done it at the Minnesota State High School Hockey tournament with a hundred other students, but no matter the crowd size, it’s still funny to see.
The Arlee cheering section was loud before, during and after the game. It was hard to hear anything anyone near me was saying. It was great. The gym was loud and the atmosphere was intense. I’ve never seen such crowd support at a volleyball game. All five games I have attended.
Every dig was followed with “Can you diiigggg it?” and they even knew the Arlee team’s cheer for an ace.
However, they did have competition.
Five Mission JV volleyball members were decked out in blue and white and had signs. My personal favorite was “Warning: Bulldogs can’t be held responsible for lost or damaged pride.”


The game went for five intense sets and after Arlee pulled off the win, the cheering section got down on their hands and knees, banged the floor and bowed down to the Arlee volleyball players as they headed for their locker room.
Talk about school pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment