Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Heading to Rodeo Nationals Journal

Talented local rodeo athletes have been competing in the Junior Rodeo Nationals down in Gallup, New Mexico. One of those athletes, Wyatt Lytton has been nice enough to send up updates from the event via text. Here's texts he sent me on Monday...

(Click on "read more" to see the full journal entry)


The trip down to Gallup was great. It took us two days to get here. Everyone made it safely. You wouldn't believe this place. Wow! You feel pretty cool with how you are treated, like the pros. Everyone is so kind. We got checked in, which was amazing. This place is built in a red rock canyon. It is beautiful. We have had lots to do getting ready for rodeo. Team pictures, contestants, meetings and events they have for the contestants.

I have enjoyed this experience just being here. I was up in the first night's performance. My partner caught and lost his dally when heading for me. We took no time. My teammates Abby and Will were up ribbon roping. They took a no time. Abby was up in the 2nd performance this A.M. She got a no time. We all are doing our best and the word TRY stands out for all of us. I need to ten to my partner Mesa. He is the best horse and with the weather hot our horses care needs to come first. I will text more updates and send pictures soon. Signing off from the Finals.

-Wyatt, Abby and Will.

I then got the following text from Wyatt as well.

Brandon, Abby was up in breakaway today, I didn't state that to you in my first text. The whole Montana team is doing great. I will write again, Wyatt.

The next day (Tuesday), I received this text.


Third round of the rodeo was great for Montana. We all are doing our best. Abby goat tied and got a time of 26.577. We were proud of her. Will was also in the round team roping. His team got a time of 14.818 placing them third in the round. That got the crowd cheering. 4th round was this morning. We have two rounds a day, one in the A.M. and one in the P.M. Abby was up in barrels, she posted a time of 18.150. She did well. We had a rodeo team tug of war. It was a loser out competition. I'm proud to say our Montana team won, it was a blast. Our team has a lot of heart and it shows. It was a fun time for all of us.

And he also sent photos:


Left to right: Will Powell, Wyatt Lytton, and Brandon Yerian watch the 4th round team roping at the National Finals.



Abby Night 4th round barrel racing at Nationals.


Wyatt Lytton and Will Powell having some fun roping between rounds at the National Finals.


The Leader will keep you posted, make sure you catch next weeks issue for a full update.

No comments:

Post a Comment