Tuesday, November 10, 2009

State tournaments

When I was in high school, none of the teams I participated on made it that far in the post season. We tried but those elusive state tournaments were attended by teams that beat us.
In 10th grade, our boys hockey team made it to the big show. In Minnesota, making it to the hockey state tournament is a BIG DEAL. You get to miss school for a week.
You get to play in an NHL arena that is PACKED every game.
You’re in the state tournament, playing hockey in March when most other teams have been done for a month.
This is the ultimate post season. Many players will never step foot in the NHL, so this is the biggest stage they get to play on. Even though I didn’t have a team in the tourney, a couple buddies and I skipped school senior year to hang out at the rink all day.
That’s the beauty of state tournaments, your parents aren’t the only fans.
The Xcel Energy center would get insanely loud when the entire student section would chant something. Literally, entire schools would be sitting in the student section. There were the perennial teams from Warroad and Roseau that would make appearances. These cities are six hours away and the entire city would shut down to make the hall. That is how important this tournament is.
When Polson volleyball made it to state, I was pretty excited because I get to go as a reporter. Something I’ve never done before. If I couldn’t go as an athlete, I figure going for my job has to be a good compromise.
The only downside is the four-hour car ride. By myself.
So that will make for an interesting adventure.
Check in next week’s paper for more on the Pirates title hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment